Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thank You Bloody Thursday!

After a not so great night Luke is looking like a whole different kid today. He is active and awake and is tolerating all of his care. Now if we could just get back to feeding him. Jonathin had been saying he looked pale for almost a week now and his numbers showed he needed blood, now why we waited so long I don't know. When I walked in and saw him this morning his belly looked so much better. I am still sticking to the idea that he just needed blood. We are still waiting on the culture to come back to see if there is an infection, but I'm betting there isn't one. This isn't the first time we have had this same problem and the kid just needed some blood. Once the culture comes back negative we can stop the prophylactic antibiotics (thats for all my nursing girls, see I did pay attention), and we can start feedings again. They aren't going straight back to 19cc's, but will quickly work their way back to that point. His "desatting" has decreased with the blood also. I just think until he can make enough blood, this is going to be our biggest problem to keeping him comfortable along with the ventilator. Compared to last night, today was pretty mellow. Jonathin is coming down tomorrow morning to sit with me through rounds, he wants to voice his concerns on how things were handled last night. I know they had to do what they were doing, but there could have been a better way to go about it. Hopefully we don't have a night like that again. Thanks again everyone!

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment