Thursday, September 8, 2011

Big Boy Tiny Tube

Today was a big day for Luke, we went to wall oxygen. He now is receiving 100% at one liter per minute. This is different to the 34% at 2 liters per minute. The vapotherm was giving Luke some force to breathe. However, now he is doing it all on his own. I actually think he is doing better on this than on the vapotherm. From here we have a sleep study to figure out where we will be when we go home. We could actually go home on this level. He has stopped "desatting" and stays either at 99 or 100. It is like a whole different kid. After the sleep study they will then have to do a car seat study. Luke will have to sit in a car seat for 3 hours and keep his oxygen in a normal area. They aren't saying when we can think about going home, however from past experience I would say 2-3 weeks. That is taking into effect the ROP outcome. Our one nurse told us to ask for the laser anyways to save us the wait or trip. I am holding out hope things will be better on Tuesday. Luke's friend Lily came back for a visit today. She looks so good after being home for six or so. She gives us hope on a great outcome. Her mom Heather also was giving me some tips for when we go home. I'm ready, but then in the back of my mind I realize it is all us for the first time in 3 months. On a side note we are sad to tell Luke today that he won't be able to meet his cat, Eva. She passed away last night. Jonathin said we can get another kitten once Luke is grown. The sad thing is Eva loved to lay on my belly when I was pregnant with Luke. Other than this little bit of news life is good at the Riley, slowly creeping home.

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Yay Luke! I think you'll be surprised at how quickly things progress from here :) Did you join the yahoo group? Lots of moms there had babies with ROP - you could get some pointers on what to do as far as whether to do surgery before going home or coming back.

    I think you need to put a poll up in the side bar for going home day. I say September 20th!

    ReplyDelete