Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kangaroo Kid

Luke had a little bit of a rough night last night. They were worried about his respiratory rate and his oxygen  concentration. The doctors decided to do a chest x-ray just to check on things. Everything seemed just fine so the let him be. Today he had his comfy times and his anxious times. Even when he gets a little antsy they are able to calm him without giving him medication. This is really good, due to the fact he would get something almost once every 6 hours when he was on the ventilator. Today was also a great day for myself, finally after 7 1/2 weeks I was finally able to hold Luke again. I wanted to make sure he was up to it, and they wanted to change his isolette. It was a little rough at the beginning, but we got the hang of it by the end. I was able to hold him for a little over an hour. They call it kangaroo kare, because I hold him against my bare skin and he is only wearing a diaper. We never had an issue with him getting chilled, which is really good. Every once and awhile I would hear a little whine from him while he moved around. He also left a nice slobber puddle on my chest. Things are finally starting to feel right to me again. However, there was still the part of me that couldn't stop looking at his oxygen saturation on the monitor. Even when things are coming to a close here, I don't think I will ignore that monitor. Jonathin is jealous because he wasn't able to hold him yet, but he is going to make a quick trip down here Wednesday and says that Luke better be ready. Also they bumped Luke's feeds up to 27cc's every three hours. I really think he could handle more, but they are keeping with his weight. He is still a little over 3 pounds and today he measured 15 inches long. Other than that his day was pretty normal. Sorry about the pictures being sideways, but they are all from our kangaroo time. Thanks again for all the encouragement, as the little man grows up.

Jordan



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pics! You know - it's funny. At the time I felt kind of cheated that I was stuck in a crappy hospital room holding a baby full of equipment and he could only be placed there by a host of medical staff and we had to be watched by everyone... it didn't feel private - I wanted privacy with my baby, my alone time, you know?

    But I look back at it now and remember it fondly. It was OUR private time and it was still special and beautiful. Now when I remember it, there is no pain attached to it.

    Funny thing is, Emery used to get all jelly like and sleep deeply without any problems after I held him. His nurses joked that I was better than morphine and Ativan lol.

    ReplyDelete