Monday, June 27, 2011

Pop Petrified of Poop!

This morning we arrived to some lung problems. Luke had apparently had a couple problems throughout the night. His heart rate would drop along with his oxygen saturation level, then it would take a while for him to get back to his normal levels. They even had to bag him twice over the night and once this morning. Originally they thought it was the way he was laying, then they thought it was his ventilator tube. However, after another x-ray, Luke's lungs looked slightly collapsed. This could be due to his ventilator being set so low. This wasn't allowing enough air in the lungs to keep them inflated is how they described it to me. To fix the problem they turned the ventilator up a little and are waiting for the alveoli in the lungs to reinflate. It doesn't make me happy that this is another problem to occur, but I am happy that we know why his heart rate and O2 would drop. It was a little tense when it would happen when we were in there. This might also explain his restlessness yesterday evening. We are still working on the blood pressure. It looks a lot better now with the help of the medications. Every time they try to remove the Dopamine they end of up putting him back on the next 4 hours. He is on the lowest amount, but when they remove it he doesn't rebound like they would hope. He is also still one other blood pressure medication, but it is only given every 8 hours instead of a continuous drip. The doctors had yet to decide if they were going to pull out the PICC line today. They are still waiting for the 3rd culture to come back on the infection. Hopefully tomorrow we can have a decision. Now lets get to entertainment for today. Every since Lucas was born Jonathin has changed the diapers when he is around. I have not changed a one. So today at the 4:00PM changing I went in to change the diaper, however, a certain individual raced me in the NICU to change the diaper before me, so I let him. My rational is when Luke is finally home I know the diapers will most likely be changed by myself, so I'll let him get his share in now. Well as Jonathin went to take the diaper off Luke he suddenly realized at that same time Luke was trying to have a bowel movement. Already Jonathin had removed the diaper and had a clean one in hand. Instead of placing the diaper under Luke or anything like to catch things, he threw the clean diaper on the counter and let out a loud, "Eww Poop!" and walked away leaving our child laying in his mess. This left our nurse to finish cause Jonathin couldn't look that way and I was laughing too hard. Jonathin always said he couldn't handle poop, however I didn't think a blueberry was that frightening. So needless to say I don't think he will be racing me to the next diaper change. This was more exciting than just the diaper change, we were really excited to see the bowel movement due to the watching of the intestines. This just shows that they are just slow hopefully, not constricted. I honestly think I was more excited about that. So pretty much the day wasn't filled with more ups than downs, just a steady day with a few bumps. I was finally able to get in a car and remove myself from the hospital for the first time in a week, that was nice, but my mind would still wonder how Luke was doing. I think it will be pretty difficult when all of this is said and done and we go and leave him with someone for a night out. If I'm nervous now with a bunch of nurses, think how it will be with grandparents or friends, eek! I know I say this every time, but thank you again everyone. The prayers are being heard!

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment