Monday, June 27, 2011

"It's a preemie thing"

Luke had another good night. I could get used to these, but I know I can't ask for too much. When we arrived at the hospital this morning they had removed him from the Jet ventilator. Don't get too excited, he is still and will be for a while, on a ventilator. He has been removed from the Jet before, so who knows if this will stick. I will take any progression we can get. That was pretty much all of the excitement for today. They are still taking chest x-rays. They just tell me they are fuzzy or cloudy. Then the dreaded answer to everything, "It's a preemie thing." No matter what I ask about why certain things are happening that is the answer I get. I mean they explain what they can, but it all ends up with that answer. Today Luke wanted everyone to pay attention to him, no matter who it was. Every once and awhile his O2 saturation would drop somewhere around 70, then slowly he would raise it back up to 98-100 and sit there till the alarms would drive everyone crazy. I think he was holding his breathe on purpose. The nurses would disinfect their hands and stand there ready to turn up the oxygen concentration, but no, he would bring himself right back. This went on all day. The doctors and respiratory therapists raised his breathes per minute thinking that would help, but no he still did it. They have no real answer for me, other than "It's a preemie thing."
On another note, Jonathin went back to work this evening for a week straight. I hope the week goes quick for him. I know it is hard for him to leave. At least he has the dogs during the day. I hope they remember me when we finally get to go home. Also I would like to say thank you for the Riley postcards that were waiting for me when I got to the hospital. They were so great, and brought a big smile to my face. They are all up with Luke on his shelf next to his isolete. Once again, thanks for all the support, love, and prayers. I don't know how we all could do this without all of you.

Jordan

3 comments:

  1. It's a crappy answer but it's 100 percent true! Sometimes their little bodies refuse to cooperate. When he gets bigger and bigger it will happen less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up, Jord. Every good night is one step forward :)
    Love ya,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well he's looking better all the time. Continually praying...

    ReplyDelete