Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Honest About the Situation

Today Luke had another weigh in. Today there was no hype to the appointment. My hopes were not high. It might sounds sad to some that I'm not giving him the excitement and encouragement I once did. However, there is so much weighing on these appointments. Luke has began eat like he did before Riley to a part. He still fights food at times, but will take more than before. I am happy with this improvement, but know it is not enough. Yesterday I received a call from Riley and was given the 3rd degree on why we weren't following the plan accordingly, because IT WORKED BEFORE! I hate to disappoint her, but my son's MO is to do something well for a week before fighting against it. So today as we walked into our appointment I had one thing on my mind...how long? How long do I wait before following through with the needed nessecity? Luke did not lose any weight, however he did not gain either. I might breath a small sigh of relief, but then we get to the important stuff. According to the growth chart, the lowest weight for a 13 month child is 19 pounds to stay on the chart. For a 10 month child it is 17 pounds. My child is 14 pounds 15 ounces. The numbers don't lie at this point. To answer my waiting question...2 weeks. Luke has been given 2 weeks to gain over a pound. This won't take him out of the woods though. This will just buy us a few more weeks. Do I really want to just buy time? Or do I finally want to come out from the scary zone of weight? Do I keep pressuring myself or do I finally give our family some relief? It seems like a no brain idea, then why is it so hard to finally pull the trigger? At some times, like right now as I type, I want to call Riley and say schedule us for next week. Then I think to myself for 10 seconds and I tell myself, we can beat this. The problem I fight with is: what is best for Luke? Him going through a surgery that should alleviate some issues and hope he would grow in size and all the other needed areas? Or do I try to let him figure himself out? Put him through surgery? Stress him with food? When I put it all on paper it seems like an easy choice, then why do I still fight it? Is it my own personal issues? The amount of extra work? The life changer again? Does that even need to be considered? He is our child, and we will do everything in our power to give him the best possible life. There is no other option here. If we do go through with it, struggling with food doesn't stop. Luke still has to learn to eat and gain weight. There is no easy way out of the situation. There is no easy approach.

3 comments:

  1. I have a post on my blog called to tube or not to tube. If you're interested you can google it or I ca send the link later. I can honestly say the tube was the best and easiest decision for us. I have never worried about weight or growth in 5 years. It made him much happier, too, without the stress of being forced to eat. Most parents I know think 'why in the heck didn't I do this years ago?' If you have to go that route, it's not a bad route to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above post. I can tell you why you still fight it. You fight it for so many reasons - tired of having to struggle to get your child healthy, tired of learning new things, tired of surgery, tired of all the preemie stuff, just plain tired! I wrote a post for preemiebabies101.com about this topic. You might want to read it here - http://www.preemiebabies101.com/2012/06/a-g-tube-is-not-a-white-flag/

    Best wishes in making whatever decision you feel is best for Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's hard. I fought a tube for so long. Jack weighed 12 pounds at a year old and we finally couldn't fight it anymore. Each one of our kids is different, but for us, the tube was a life-saver. Yes, I was depressed about it. I felt like a failure. I thought that maybe, just maybe I should have given Jack more time to figure it out. But the weight that lifted off my shoulders once we got used to our new schedule, new life! That's our story.

    ReplyDelete